Well, today was my first day back at school. Is it totally sad if I’m already tired?
I am now officially a junior in college. Where on Earth did the time fly? I am feeling particularly old today..well really since my birthday. I still feel like I am thirteen years old, for goodness sake’s. I can’t possibly be an adult! I’m pretty mature in most things…(people call me mom a lot), but I like to do kid things and I really don’t want to do taxes.
What says kid like a banana split? Whenever I did something really well I always had a banana split. A couple scoops of vanilla ice cream, a banana, strawberries, walnuts, chocolate drizzle, topped with tons of sprinkles. As you well know, I love dessert for breakfast. And since I’m being mopey and nostalgic I decided to make some comforting Banana Split Oatmeal to feed my stomach as well as my need for childhood memories.
I absolutely love this oatmeal. It is probably in my top 5, so I hope you like it too…and feel a little younger while eating it:)
It has absolutely no added sugar..not even in the chocolate sauce! oh yeah, I’m that good.
Banana Split Oatmeal
-1/3 cup oats
-2/3 cup water
-1 ripe banana, cut in half
-1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
-1/8 teaspoon Vanilla extract
-1/4 teaspoon water
-Optional: strawberries, walnuts, sprinkles
1. Place your oats and your water in a bowl to soak for a few minutes.
2. Cut your banana in half and mash one half, then pour into your oat-water mixture. Stir in cinnamon (to taste) and vanilla extract.
3. Microwave for 1 minute and then let sit.
4. Mash the other half and pour into a small bowl.
5. Mix the unsweetened cocoa powder into the half mashed banana in the small bowl. Pour in the 1/4 teaspoon and mix.
6. Microwave both the oatmeal and the small cocoa-banana sauce, together, for 30 seconds.
7. Pour the chocolate sauce onto the oatmeal and top with all your desired toppings!
I use this chocolate sauce on loads of things. On oatmeal, toast, my Minute magic muffin, rice cakes (yes, I love them), and pancakes! Feel free to go crazy stuffing your face with it. It’s probably the healthiest chocolate sauce you’ll ever eat.
Never thought you’d be able to start your day with a banana split, huh? I mean we do split the banana for this don’t we? 🙂
Ingredient list links:
What do you eat when you’re feeling nostalgic?
Until next time,
“Life is short eat dessert first.”